Future of Illinois politics looms

By Stephen Spector

Following the FBI raid of Gov. Rod Blagojevich’s home early this morning, political experts are determining the effects of such a high-profile arrest.

“It’s a sad day for Illinois politics,” said political science professor Thomas Rudolph.

“It’s not the first time this has happened so we can’t really be that surprised.”

Blagojevich’s predecessor, Gov. George Ryan, began his sentence in November 2007 following federal corruption charges stemming from December 2003 indictments.

“Illinois’ image with respect to political corruption is already tainted, and this does not help our image,” Rudolph said.

“But every state has corrupt politicians, and even after the governor’s arrest, it is difficult to determine if there are still leftovers in Illinois’ government.”

In dealing with the rebuilding process of Illinois politics, the next gubernatorial election will determine if the wave of corrupt governors is over.

“Presumably, candidates will need strong evidence of integrity,” said Jeffery Mondak, University political science professor.

“Blagojevich was even contemplating naming himself to the Senate, which suggests to me that he had no idea how was perceived by the public.

Given that, if there are other aspiring politicians equally oblivious to the reality of how their actions are perceived, then this will be difficult to correct.”

Technically, Blagojevich can still appoint someone to the vacant senate position – even from jail.

Until he is either impeached or resigns, Blagojevich still holds his elected position.

Mondak said that Sen. Dick Durbin was correct in saying that the majority of politicians in Illinois are fair, trust-worthy people.

Obama has not been formally accused of having any illegal connection to Blagojevich, and Rudolph said the corruption charges will not affect the president-elect.

“It’s going to take time for this to repair,” Rudolph said.

“It’s going to take a major effort to rebuild the trust in this state. That’s something that won’t happen quickly.”