House Republicans file impeachment resolution

By Kate Szyszka

Politicians in Springfield set forth filings to initiate immediate impeachment proceedings following Governor Rod Blagojevich’s arrest on federal corruption charges Tuesday, said a press release. Politicians involved included State Representative Chapin Rose (R-Mahomet) and other House Republicans.

The Special Investigative Committee is has been the first step of the impeachment process in the past. A letter was also sent to the Governor yesterday asking him to resign.

“Unfortunately, it appears that the Governor indicated last night that he is unwilling to resign. There is no doubt that the Governor cannot govern, and if he won’t step down on his own, he needs to be removed from office. The filing of HR 1644 initiates the impeachment process,” Rose said in the press release.

House Resolution 1644 would create a Special Investigative Committee to hold hearings on Blagojevich’s impeachment. The committee would be comprised of 10 members of the Illinois House, five democrats and five republicans. The committee would be have the power to subpoena witnesses and collect evidence in its investigation and make a recommendation to the full House within 30 days.

“The Governor needs to do the right thing and resign. However, our side of the aisle is prepared to move forward and forcibly remove him should he refuse to do so,” Rose said.