UI offers free tutoring around campus

By Emily Bardales

Students looking for some extra help studying and understanding classes can take advantage of tutoring resources around campus for assistance.

The math department offers free tutoring for levels 012, 220, 231, 241 and 285. Private tutors are available for a fee. Contact information can be found on the University math Web site or through the math department

Free residence hall tutors are available in some halls and do not require an appointment.

Allen Hall room 159 tutors in math and physics on Mondays and Wednesdays between 7 and 10 p.m.

FAR room 242 tutors in math and physics from Sunday to Tuesday, and Thursday between 8 and 11 p.m, and tutors in physics, math and computer science on Mondays and Wednesdays between 7 and 10 p.m.

Weston room 14 offers “Writer’s Workshop” to help with writing and biology on Monday and Wednesday from 7 to 10 p.m.

The Undergraduate Library has “Writer’s Workshop” on Sunday from 1 to 8 p.m, Monday from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. and Tuesday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Writer’s Workshop will close Dec. 16 and re-open in January when school resumes.

“We get really busy around this time so it’s a good idea to make an appointment,” said Beverly Tsai, senior in LAS. “We help with writing for any field; creative writing, dissertations, engineers, personal statements and any course paper.”

Office for Minority Student Affairs offers free tutoring for students in Education Opportunities Program, Presidents Award Program, LAS Bridge Transition Program and other undergraduates depending on funding and approval.

“We have walk-in hours math, physics, chemistry and MCB for those who don’t want a regular weekly tutor,” said Benie Bakala, an Office for Minority Student Affairs employee.

Students can also seek tutoring at some of the academic fraternities. Phi Eta Sigma, a freshman honors society tutoring program offers tutoring. To contact someone from Phi Eta Sigma, post an ad on its Web site about what subject you need tutoring in, and someone in the organization will contact you to make arrangements. The Web site is http://www.illinois.edu/ro/phietasigma.