Some campus construction ongoing, other projects stall

By Rachel Small

Armory

Restrooms, windows, doors and floors will be undergoing renovations from late March to early April. The Armory is also getting a new sprinkler system and being upgraded under the Lighting Retrofit Project.

The work is being scheduled to avoid interfering with classes and Reserve Officer Training Corps activities in the building, said Judith Lateer, communications specialist for Facilities and Services.

“They’re trying to make sure that nothing is disrupted at all … the students will see workers working on the sprinklers, but it should be a minimal disruption,” Lateer said.

Campus Computer Network Upgrade Project

CITES is continuing its $20 million initiative this spring. Krannert, Noble Hall, Noyes Lab and the Shelford Vivarium will all be upgraded this spring.

Assembly Hall

Construction plans for Assembly Hall have been postponed, and students should not expect to see any work done this spring, said Kent Brown, assistant athletic director for public relations.

Brown said the decision was based on the shaky economy and a desire not to displace teams during their seasons. He said the earliest major work could begin would be after spring 2010.

“All that has pushed it back a bit,” Brown said. “That doesn’t mean that project is on the shelf by any means … we’re moving forward.”

Lighting Retrofit Projects

The University has been swapping the old fluorescent lights with high-efficiency lighting, a move Facilities and Services said could save over $1 million annually and increase energy conservation.

“(The) vast majority of (upcoming construction) projects all contribute to energy conservation on campus,” Lateer said.

Lincoln Hall

The Academic Facilities Maintenance Fund Assessment board allocated $9 million for external repairs to the historic building, but students should not expect to see construction during the spring semester.

Matthew Tomaszewski, assistant dean of LAS, said these repairs could begin after graduation; however, Lateer said no specific dates have been set yet.