Champaign, Urbana monitor salt supplies during busy winter season

By Megan Graham

The Champaign-Urbana area has experienced more winter storms this season than usual, and the public works departments in both cities have been working to keep up.

“We can’t be everywhere at once. The roads can’t be completely dry everywhere they go, especially in the residential areas; those are the last places we do,” he said. “If this storm (Tuesday) holds true, we’ll go in and plow them and then salt them.”

Despite the amount of storms in the area, the city of Urbana has been prepared, said Rich Coyne, operations supervisor for Urbana,

“We’ve had on average between 20 and 30 events and we’re at about 22 right now, so it’s a little higher than usual,” Coyne said.

“We budget between anywhere between 23 and 30 events. But you never know what’s going to happen next.”

Coyne said that though the amount of snow events has been high so far this year, Urbana has been able to keep enough salt in stock to keep the roads clear.

“Right now we’re doing OK,” he said. “We want to be really careful for the rest of the winter.”

Champaign’s salt supply has remained steady as well, despite some problems with salt delivery.

“The deliveries have been slower than anticipated,” said Arnie Morrison, asphalt supervisor for Champaign. “Apparently the salt yard has had some difficulty getting the salt in on time to make deliveries.”

Morrison also said that the prices of salt have been very inconsistent throughout Illinois. Other counties have been purchasing salt at about $140 per pound, he said. Champaign purchased its salt for $64 per pound.

“There just isn’t enough at the cheap price,” he added.

Public works departments also have to deal with potholes and other winter-related damage to the roads.

“Actually, potholes haven’t been too bad this year, because we’ve had a long period of cold,” Morrison said.

“The fact that it’s been below freezing and stayed below freezing for so long has been a benefit for the roads.”

The amount of planning and budget that Champaign and Urbana put into road maintenance leads some people to believe the roads are safer than in more rural areas.

“The city of Champaign does a much better job than my town at salting roads,” said Nick Andruczyk, a building service worker at Gregory Drive residence halls, who lives in a small town in Champaign County.

However well the roads are maintained, Coyne advises that drivers be careful when winter weather hits.