UI professor testifies against Gov.

By Stephen Spector

One of the University’s very own, law professor Andrew Morriss, testified before the Illinois Senate this aftenoon.

Morriss warned of the possible ramifications when a governor exercises more power than delegates. He spoke to the senators following Vicki Thomas, a representative from the Joint Committee on Adminstrative Rules. Thomas said Gov. Rod Blagojevich illegally ignored the group’s reccomendations on health care programs.

“It is inappropriate for the executive officer to simply choose the laws he will abide by,” Morriss said.

Following the professor’s testimony, House prosecutor David Ellis said that not all of the original witnesses would be needed in this trial. This aggravated Senate minority leader Christine Radogno.

“We need to be sure that every member of this body has enough information to make a good decision,” Radogno said. “We also have an obligation to the people who sent us here to represent them that they have the opportunity to hear the evidence.”

The evidence is available to the public, but Senator Dave Syverson said the public tends not to volunteer search through hundreds of pages of documents.

The Senate is now in recess.

For continuous updates from Springfield, follow The Daily Illini’s Twitter updates at

www.twitter.com/TheDailyIllini

.