Illinois’ new governor not wasting time, gets down to business

Quinn spends night in Ill. governor’s mansion

CHICAGO – New Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn did something his first night on the job that his predecessor Rod Blagojevich rarely did: He slept at the Executive Mansion in Springfield.

Quinn also had dinner there with his family to celebrate his swearing in on Thursday after Blagojevich was removed from office in an impeachment trial.

Quinn likes the new digs that go along with his job. He says the bed was nice and the food was good.

It’s a switch from Blagojevich who refused to move from Chicago to the mansion when he was first elected in 2002.

He hasn’t even been on the job a full day, but Quinn already considers himself officially moved in. He brought a suit, shirts and other clothes with him when he came from Chicago on Thursday.

Quinn gets down to business as Illinois governor

CHICAGO – New Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn says the ordeal is over, but now the work begins.

Quinn was sworn in Thursday after the state Senate booted Rod Blagojevich out of office with a 59-0 vote at his impeachment trial.

During an interview on WLS Radio’s “The Don and Roma Morning Show” on Friday, Quinn said he expects to be busy on his first full day as Illinois’ governor.

The 60-year-old Democrat says his job is to “mend the flaws” in state government, and he says a big part of that is assessing the damage that’s been done so he can determine what to do next.

Quinn says the taxpayers of Illinois are entitled to good service from the state.

He touted the work of the Illinois Reform Commission, which has been tasked with cleaning up state government. And he pledged to work with lawmakers and other state officials as a team to get the job done.

Quinn suggests moving primary date to September

SPRINGFIELD, Ill. – New Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn wants to push back next year’s primary election by seven months so officials have more time to focus on state government before campaigning.

Quinn says Illinois has major problems that need attention before politicians start concentrating on the 2010 election. He mentioned government corruption, a huge budget deficit and rising unemployment.

Illinois traditionally holds primary elections in March. Then, the general election is in November. That means virtually an entire year is dominated by politics.

The Democratic governor says New York state holds its gubernatorial primary in September.

Quinn could face a slew of challengers in the 2010 primary for governor, including Attorney General Lisa Madigan and Treasurer Alexi Giannoulias.

Compiled from Associated Press reports