Odds and Ends: No more free salt, sand for people in Mass. town

BUCKLAND, Mass. – Residents of a small Massachusetts town used to be able to help themselves to a free bucket of sand and salt from the highway department to treat their steps and walkways after a snow storm.

But no more.

Officials in the western Massachusetts town of Buckland have suspended the perk at least temporarily because it appears some people have been abusing the privilege.

Highway Superintendent Steve Daby told selectmen that people have been filling the backs of pickup trucks with the mixture, and that some people taking advantage appear to be from out of town, The Recorder of Greenfield reports.

Selectmen say they can no longer afford to give it away.

Police: Man delivered stolen newspapers for years

PHILLIPSBURG, N.J. – Police in New Jersey say a man stole stacks of newspapers and delivered them to unsuspecting customers for years.

Phillipsburg police say Michael Farrell was delivering copies of the Express-Times of Easton (Pa.) for the last three years. The problem was, police say he was stealing the papers from boxes.

Newspaper officials say the Lopatcong Township man worked in the past as a carrier for the paper. Customers assumed the 53-year-old still did. Some even wrote him a check every month. Subscriber Mike Markle of Phillipsburg, a town about 60 miles west of Newark, says he was satisfied with the service. He never had a problem getting his morning paper.

Compiled from Associated Press reports