Quinn enters new role as ‘reformer governor’

Quinn enters new role as reformer governor

By Jennifer Wheeler

In the past month, Illinois residents have experienced the highs and lows in politics, having proudly watched the inauguration of President Barack Obama and witnessed former Gov. Rod Blagojevich’s impeachment. Democrat Patrick Quinn, former lieutenant governor, immediately filled the vacant position following Blagojevich’s removal from office on Thursday.In the past month, Illinois residents have experienced the highs and lows in politics, having proudly watched the inauguration of President Barack Obama and witnessed former Gov. Rod Blagojevich’s impeachment.

Democrat Patrick Quinn, former lieutenant governor, immediately filled the vacant position following Blagojevich’s removal from office on Thursday.

Following a nearly two-month media parade that diminished the value of Illinois politics, Quinn will try to dilute the current situation in Springfield, said Christopher Mooney, a political science expert at the Institute of Government and Public Affairs.

“He’s going to have things he wants to get done,” Mooney said. “He’s talking about cleaning and purging Illinois state government ethics.”

Quinn has already hinted at his desire to immediately disconnect his nascent administration from Blagojevich’s. Quinn said he wants to take down the former governor’s name over state tollways as soon as possible.

“I think he will provide a breath of fresh air for Illinois politics,” said Heather Hanks, vice president of College Democrats at the University and senior in LAS. “He will cut the ‘b.s.’ and get down to business.”

Some agree that Quinn can only improve Illinois’ political image.

“He’s a very hard worker, which is a nice change in government,” said former Gov. Jim Edgar, distinguished fellow at the Institute of Government and Public Affairs. “It’s an improvement from the last six years.”

Some said Quinn’s new role will help bring up the morale associated with Illinois politics.

“I think it will really help us as a state to better our image,” Hanks said. “If we have a reformer governor, we wouldn’t be the butt of jokes anymore. It would be a well-needed change.”

But not everyone is seeing the change through rose-tinted glasses. “He will have to work with a lot of people he used to criticize,” Edgar said, adding that one of the biggest challenges Quinn will face will be putting together a successful political team. Quinn must decide which political officials to keep from Blagojevich’s term and hire others if necessary.

Quinn may also be criticized for his ties with Blagojevich, said Robert Stefanski, president of the Political Science Club at the University and junior in LAS. Though Blagojevich and Quinn ran separately in the 2006 primary election, they appeared on a joint ticket in the general election.

“I think a weakness he may run into is having appeared in the same ticket as Blagojevich,” Stefanski said. “(But) It’s not like these guys golf together.”

Despite many questioning Quinn’s qualifications and ability to effectively hold the governorship, Edgar said he is confident the University will benefit from the change in power. Though Quinn was never given enough power to implement higher education programs, Edgar said he appears to want to improve the education system.

“He has shown an interest,” Edgar added. “He’s been on the U of I campus a lot more than our current government.”

A look at the new governor

Pat Quinn, a 60-year-old Chicago Democrat, was elected lieutenant governor in 2002 and 2006. Also served as state treasurer from 1991 to 1995 and on the Cook County Board of Tax Appeals.

Helped create the consumer watchdog group Citizens Utility Board and led other petition drives and consumer movements.

Quinn holds a law degree from Northwestern University.

“Whatever position I had, whether it would be governor or some other position, if you can organize causes, I like doing that. I think that’s really actually more my interest in life than anything.”

Stephen Spector contributed to this report