Program helps keep track of health

Francisco Villafuerte, junior in FAA, gets his blood pressure checked by Leia Kedem, graduate student in nutritional sciences, in the Wellness Center at the Activities and Recreation Center on Wednesday. The Wellness Center offers free body fat compositio Erica Magda

By Rachel Small

Dionne Wyatt resolved to lose weight in 2009, and the Wellness Center resolved to help her do it.

Wyatt, senior in AHS, was among a group of students who came to the Activities and Recreation Center on Wednesday for a Wellness Zone Check-Up, a part of Wellness Wednesdays.

The program is offered by the Wellness Center, which offers students free seminars in addition to the checkups.

Body composition analysis, blood pressure testing and nutrition and fitness information are available at the center from 5-7 p.m. every first and third Wednesday this semester. Seminar topics include everything from nutrition to budgeting.

Wyatt said the information would help her stick to her resolution.

“I just came down here to get a read-out of where my body is at, so I could do a before and after,” Wyatt said.

Steve Clemonds, graduate student, helped Wyatt through the process. He said her reasons for coming were fairly typical for students starting an exercise program.

“They can get an estimate here, when they start, and then judge their progress as they move along through the program,” he said.

Francisco Villafuerte, junior in FAA, said he came to get checked out after working out. He said he likes being able to measure his progress through the body composition test.

“Not only do you see you losing body weight, or losing fat, you get to see the actual number,” he said.

Clemonds said he thinks the test is good for students.

“It’s good because it’s a quick estimate for students,” he said. “It’s right here at the fitness center, so it’s not that far out of their way.”

Clemonds is one of many students putting his textbook skills to use in the Wellness Center. Janet Kroencke, assistant director for group fitness/wellness, said the center and its partners offer students interested in wellness professions the opportunity to put their skills to use.

The center is a collaboration between six main partners: the Athletic Training division of Campus Recreation, Community Health and Kinesiology, the Counseling Center, McKinley Health Center, Nutrition Services and UI Extension Financial Wellness. It also refers students to other groups when necessary.

Kroencke said the center acts as a starting point for students interested in wellness.

The center and its partners offer various internships and student positions.

“It’s a very good experience,” said Ghazal Naseri, graduate student in nutritional sciences. She offered general advice on nutrition and answered questions from students throughout the night.

Kroencke said she wants students to be aware of the resources they have to be healthy.

“If they have any questions or any interest or any issues having to do with health and wellness they can come here,” she said.