Community gathers for NIU memorial

Members of the Northern Illinois University School of Theater and Dance read during a commemorative ceremony for the students lost in the Feb. 14, 2008 shooting at the Convocation Center in Dekalb, Ill. on Feb. 14, 2009. Erica Magda

Northern Illinois University students, faculty, staff and community members gathered in the Convocation Center, 1525 W. Lincoln Highway, DeKalb, Ill., to remember the five students lost in the shooting at Cole Hall one year ago and the thousands on campus and throughout the community that were affected.

“Thousands of lives were touched by five,” said Cherilyn Murer, chair of the Board of Trustees. “There never was a moment that we doubted that we would overcome this adversity.”

Eddie Williams, executive vice president and chief of operations, led everyone in prayer.

“We are thankful for the power of healing,” Williams said. “We ask for the continued healing…as we pursue our quest to make sure that darkness will never conquer our light.”

graphic

photo DI multimedia

photo

NIU holds memorial ceremony

Click to view a slideshow.

Murer said it is important to celebrate both good and tragic anniversaries. She said the ceremony was intended to honor the students and their families “who have suffered immeasurable pain.”

Speakers also addressed the current students and faculty who helped one another last year.

NIU President John Peters talked about character and the support of the community throughout the past year.

“Dan (Parmenter), Gayle (Dubowski), Catalina (Garcia), Ryanne (Mace), and Julianna (Gehant) had character, and we are much richer for having known them,” Peters said. “The legacy of character in all its forms is what we celebrate today.”

Five students from the NIU School of Theatre and Dance performed readings in remembrance of the students and as a thank you for support.

The School of Theatre and Dance students read quotations and brief stories from the friends and family of the victims. They talked about all of the support and fund-raising from the community and across the world.

“Expressions of condolences and concern poured in from across the country and around the world,” one performer said. “We learned on that dark night and on the numbing days that followed how many shared our pain.”

“We knew we would prevail,” Murer said. “We move ahead because we believe that is what (the victims) want. We move on because we must.”

Murer added that the NIU family needs to continue to reach for their dreams.

“Every step we take, every degree we grant…is their legacy,” she said.

Peters reminded all those gathered of a promise made the year before.

“A year ago in this very place, we vowed not to let an act of violence define us, and we have not,” Peters said. “We have met tragedy with forbearance, grief with comfort, and need with compassion. We have filled a dark void with the light of our love for one another.”