Donations for denominations: Where does your money go?

By Jennifer Wheeler

Praying to win the lottery won’t help these places of worship keep their doors open for people wanting to practice their faith. As the economy takes its toll on members’ finances, will these places push through the financially hard times or fall down to the recession’s wrath? St.

Praying to win the lottery won’t help these places of worship keep their doors open for people wanting to practice their faith. As the economy takes its toll on members’ finances, will these places push through the financially hard times or fall down to the recession’s wrath?

St. John’s Catholic Chapel, 604 E. Armory Ave., Champaign, Ill.

Though members of the church do not need to worry about it closing, Catholics should note that the church’s finances have been affected by the economy, said Charles Hanson, chief financial officer for St. John’s Catholic Newman Center.

“We hope that’s a temporary blimp on the horizon,” he said.

The church is primarily funded through an endowment set up by Monsignor Edward J. Duncan, retired director and chaplain of St. John’s Catholic Chapel. The endowment is composed of investments and hall incomes collected through the years. The majority of the church’s expenses are funded through interest collected from the endowment.

Hanson said the ministry plans its budget yearly, deciding how to budget the church’s finances from July 1 to June 30.

“St. John’s has been in business for 80 years,” Hanson said. “It’s a concern to us but it won’t have a detrimental effect.”

Central Illinois Mosque and Islamic Center, 106 S. Lincoln Ave., Urbana, Ill.

Though Imad Rahman, vice president of Central Illinois Mosque and Islamic Center, is unsure whether the economy will affect the mosque’s finances, he said the center will make sure that it is in “its best condition possible to facilitate worship.”

The mosque is a self-sufficient place of worship, relying solely on donations collected at the congregation and money donated at its annual fundraiser held during the month of Ramadan, Rahman said.

He said the budget for the upcoming year will be decided in March.

Though the mosque may feel a financial pinch, Rahman said members of the center are likely to decrease their contributions to other charitable organizations, rather than donating less to the mosque.

“No investment is guaranteed, except when you give for the sake of God,” Rahman said. “God has promised you a return.”

University Baptist Church, 314 E. Daniel St., Champaign, Ill.

Brett Smith, pastor of University Baptist Church, said he does not expect Sunday offerings or other donations to be affected a great deal by the recession.

“As far as our outside donations, it’s too early to tell. I have not noticed a change,” Smith said. “I think it’s because followers of Jesus Christ will continue to support the ministry, regardless of fluctuation in the economy.”

University Baptist Church not only receives donations from University members but also from other American Baptist Churches throughout Illinois. Smith said churches are usually self-sustaining, but the campus location is an exception because it is considered a campus mission ministry.

In late April, members of University Baptist Church will meet to discuss and decide the ministry’s budget, Smith said.

He said information regarding the budget is submitted to church members one month prior to the budget meeting.