Gordon, Kyles run in District 1 primary

By Amanda Liberatore

Although William Kyles II will be the only name listed on the ballot for Tuesday’s District 1 primary election for the Champaign City Council, there are five write-in candidates who also applied to run.

These individuals are Freddie Gordon, Steve Rhoden, Ronnie Claiborne, Charles Thomas and Annette Williams.

However, only one of the five write-ins is actually working to attain the position.

“Freddie Gordon is the only one of the candidates who is actively campaigning for the seat,” said Champaign County auditor Tony Fabri.

“The other five filed in order to support Mr. Gordon’s candidacy by forcing a primary election and giving him an opportunity to get his name on the April ballot.”

State election law states that if more than four write-in candidates file a notice of intent within 61 days before an election, a primary must be held.

The additional write-in candidates, the people who are not actively campaigning, used the write-in option as a strategy in order to help Gordon get on the April 7 ballot.

If Gordon can get 76 write-in votes on Tuesday, then his name will be listed on the April 7 ballot for the actual city council election.

“Two candidates could advance out of the primary to the April 7 election, but any write-in candidates need to beat Kyles or at least get the 76 votes to advance,” said county clerk Mark Shelden.

According to Williams, Gordon did not turn in his petition to run in by December, which was when the petitions were due.

In fact, Kyles was the only candidate to fill out and turn in his petitions by the designated due date.

District 1 covers the northeast part of Champaign.

This includes the majority of the downtown and Campustown areas.

Early voting started Feb. 2 and ended Thursday.

Gina Jackson represents District 1 now, but she decided against running for re-elecion this year