News briefs: UI receives $14 million to go to Brazilian studies

By Article Tools

Jorge Paulo Lemann has donated $14 million to the University, making it the largest donation from a non-Illinois graduate, according to an Associated Press report.

The money Lemann donated will be used to start an institute of Brazilian studies on campus.

He said he donated the money to the University because of it’s strong record of educating Brazilians.

Chancellor Richard Herman said the new program will be world-class.

Lemenn is a Harvard graduate.

Alumna may be Chicago’s next sexiest vegetarian

Sheena Spikes, 24 and a University alumna, is now Chicago’s sexiest vegetarian and a finalist in PETA’s national competition, according to a press release.

Spikes is one of 12 finalists from around the United States and Canada.

She has been a vegan since June 2008 for several reasons, including living a healthier lifestyle and for personal concerns for animals and the environment.

People can view all candidate profiles for the “Sexiest Vegetarian Next Door” contest at peta.org by March 11.

University crime rates drop during fall semester

Violent crimes including aggravated assaults, batteries and robberies all declines in the University during the fall 2008 semester, according to statistics from the Division of Public Safety.

Criminal sexual assault dropped by 15.4 percent, and the number of aggravated assaults and batteries remained unchanged, according to the statistics.

No homicides were reported during the fall semester, similar to in the past two years.

Representative voices support for FutureGen

U.S. Rep. Tim Johnson, R-15, has released a letter he will be sending to President Barack Obama’s new Energy Secretary Stephen Chu urging action on FutureGen, according to a release from his office Tuesday.

“Because of the ineptitude of the previous energy administration, this project has hung in limbo for more than a year,” Johnson said in the release. “It’s long past time to get this train out of the station.”

The letter is asking the Department of Energy to release its Record of Decision on FutureGen, along with $1 billion in Fossil Energy Research funding that is contained in Obama’s stimulus plan.

Champaign Mayor makes Unofficial plans official

Champaign Mayor Gerald Schweighart on Wednesday officially issued an emergency order and released his plans for Unofficial St. Patrick’s Day.

Under his authority as liquor commissioner for the city of Champaign, the emergency order issued includes regulations for bars in the campus area to not serve alcohol before 11 a.m. on March 6.

Other regulations include that bars may not serve pitchers of alcohol or shots, all alcohol must be served in plastic or paper cups, bar entry age for all bars in Campustown must be 21 and it will be illegal to possess more than one keg per residence.

The emergency order will be in effect until 2:30 a.m. on March 7.

Compiled by Melissa Silverberg