University age requirements may be reduced, cut entirely

David Fullarton The Daily Illini Kelsey Caetano-AnollŽs, who at 15 is one of the universitys youngest students, at the Alma Mater on Tuesday. Caetano-AnollŽs is at odds with a proposed policy which would not allow students her age to attend the university.

David Fullarton The Daily Illini Kelsey Caetano-AnollŽs, who at 15 is one of the university’s youngest students, at the Alma Mater on Tuesday. Caetano-AnollŽs is at odds with a proposed policy which would not allow students her age to attend the university.

By Alissa Groeninger

When Kelsey Caetano-Anolles graduated from Urbana High School in June, she was eager to attend the University of Illinois.

Like many prospective students, she waited to hear from the University. However, Caetano-Anolles, freshman in LAS, was waiting to hear if her age would prevent her from being admitted. It did.

At 14, Kelsey was told that state law prevented her from attending the University. A law, applying only to the University of Illionis’ three campuses, says that a full-time student must be 15 years old.

“She didn’t like that answer,” said state senator Michael Frerichs. “Her parents didn’t like that answer.”

After hearing Caetano-Anolles’ story, Frerichs introduced legislation to the Illinois House Education Committee to change the minimum age from 15 to 14. He then decided to remove any mention of a minimum age.

This legislation will put the University in line with the other eight public schools in the state, Frerichs said. He said there is no known reason why the law was put into effect and why it only applies to the University system.

The bill still has to be voted on by the entire state Senate and the state House before it moves to the governor’s desk. Frerichs said he thinks the bill will pass.

“Admissions officials should be able to make a decision on all those criteria rather than just a birth certificate,” Frerichs said. “I just don’t think it’s right to discriminate based on age. Age is just a number.”

University spokesman Tom Hardy said the University is supportive of the bill. He said the current law is obsolete.

In February, Caetano-Anolles testified about her experience at a state Senate hearing. She said she wants the legislation to help future students in her situation.

“I really think that I was discriminated against,” she said.

When Caetano-Anolles and her parents were trying to seek a waiver so she could enter the University, they spoke with state representative Naomi Jakobsson. Jakobsson arranged for the Caetano-Anolles to meet with University Chancellor Richard Herman. In the end, the University would not give Caetano-Anolles a waiver so she could begin attending the University as a full time student. Jakobsson and Herman recommended that Caetano-Anolles attend Parkland College until she became eligible to enter the University.

Jakobsson said she has not completely reviewed the bill. If it is passed, parents will have to decide whether or not their children are mature enough, she said.

“If it were my child, I’d be very hesitant to send that child off to a university,” Jakobsson said.

Frerichs said the University should use interviews with potential students, their parents’ opinions and letters of reference to determine if a student is ready for college based on maturity and academic ability.

“Our approach to admissions is to look at the total qualities a prospective student has,” Hardy said.

Caetano-Anolles is currently in her first semester as a full-time student at the University. She is the youngest student to ever enter the University and is on campus with her dad, a professor of crop sciences, and her brother, a senior in anthropology. She said she is receiving A’s in all her classes and is enjoying the college experience. She said she does not care that her college experience is different than most students’.

“I just really need to focus on my studies now,” Caetano-Anolles said.

She took one course at the University last semester, while attending Parkland College as a full-time student.

“This legislation really had a full impact on my education,” Caetano-Anolles said. “I’d much rather be getting an education from the University of Illinois.”