Champaign Library pleased with feedback from residents

By Adam Musto

After the Champaign Public Library completed its new building, it asked city residents to share their ideas on how to make it as useful as possible for the community.

On Thursday, the library held two meetings to discuss the best way to utilize the library. The meetings were led by Dan and Sharon Wiseman, who specialize in this kind of work with libraries and other non-profit organizations.

“The day went really well, we had two meetings and had a broad specter of what we could with the library,” said Kristina Hoerner, adult services manger of the library.

The majority of comments focused on improving services already offered by the library.

“The general consensus was how much they love the new building and a positive reflection on the community as a whole,” Hoerner said. “They enjoy working with the staff and had a lot of positive things to share.”

Also, many citizens said they wanted advance notice on when their books are due, provide book clubs, have best sellers lists and provide other library events and activities. The Champaign Public Library already does all of these.

“The library is going through a process and then it goes back to the management team and sees how library does some things,” Hoerner said.

The meetings and plans for library staff are part of a larger process, but this was the only meeting with the public.”

The library’s managers and board members were also present. The library’s planning process was completed five years ago.