Some students plan alternative activities

As drunken students celebrate the numerous Unofficial activities on campus Friday, some students are choosing to not participate in the alcohol-related festivities.

Claire Gripp, sophomore in LAS, said she will experience her first Unofficial this year because she decided to go home on Unofficial …As drunken students celebrate the numerous Unofficial activities on campus Friday, some students are choosing to not participate in the alcohol-related festivities.

Claire Gripp, sophomore in LAS, said she will experience her first Unofficial this year because she decided to go home on Unofficial last year for personal reasons.

Gripp said she is not participating in the event because she is applying to be a resident advisor next year.

“I have to represent being a leader. (You are) being responsible for yourself and for others. Not participating is being responsible, I guess,” Gripp said.

Gripp said she will study for two upcoming tests or watch a movie with friends who are also not drinking on Unofficial.

Similar to Gripp’s academic plans for Unofficial, Kilia Liu, junior in ACES, said she will spend the day working on a class project due Monday.

She said she would have chosen to be sober on Unofficial even if she didn’t have a project.

She said the health consequences of alcohol are enough of a deterrent to prevent her from participating in the drinking activities.

“I am a human nutrition major, and I know that drinking too much alcohol isn’t good for you,” Liu said.

Liu said she is watching her weight and does not want to gain it back because of alcohol.

Some students who plan to stay sober on Unofficial said they are not against the holiday.

“People know I am not participating. I’m not angry, and they know that if they need to call someone, I am available for them,” Gripp said.

Kent Kiefer, a junior in LAS who will not be participating in Unofficial, described the day as an “experience” that he doesn’t mind if people partake in, just as long as they are prepared to face the consequences of their actions.

Kiefer has made plans to be in Berkeley, Calif., for a Model United Nations conference on Unofficial.

“If I was here, I don’t know what I would do.

“Probably just hang out with friends and prefer to do something that won’t cost me money,” Kiefer said.

Though these students are choosing to not participate in the binge drinking events, some still see the benefits of the day.

“It’s good that some of my classes are cancelled. So that’s the positive thing about that,” Liu said.