University’s student employee of the year honored by state

Sarah Blatti, senior in AHS, speaks after being named the 2009 Student Employee of the Year, in Urbana on Tuesday, April 14, 2009. Blatti was also named the State of Illinois Student Employee of the Year, the first time a UIUC student has won the award.

By Bridget Mulcahy

On Tuesday the Office of Student Financial Aid hosted the 2009 Student Employee Recognition event, naming Sarah Blatti, senior in AHS, winner of the award.

“It still seems so surreal to me. I just do what I love doing and I don’t really notice that it makes such a big impact on other people,” Blatti said.

She is the student director of Campus Recreation, a position that is held by two students out of 600 employees.

Students are nominated for the award on their quality of work, professionalism and uniqueness of contribution, said Angie Brix, Financial Aid Administrator for the Office for Student Financial Aid.

“Our student this year won state. That’s the first time that’s happened at this University,” Brix said.

Michael Danielson, assistant director of campus recreation, nominated Blatti.

“I think too often people can take for granted student employees,” Danielson said. “There are over 8,000 student employees on campus. Without them and their work, the facilities could not make the impact they do.”

He nominated Blatti to recognize the impact she had on Campus Recreation since she started working there as a staff assistant in the intramurals department freshman year. She represented her fellow student staff members at professional staff meetings, worked to revise the staff intranet, planned and implemented student retreats and chaired several committees.

“Sarah’s drive to succeed, her willingness to take on any task, and an ability to take ownership and make something her own really sets her apart from the crowd,” Danielson said he wrote in her nomination letter.

Blatti is also the recepient of the Dad’s Association Library Award and is a James’ Scholar at the University.

She said she tries to strive for perfection in everything she does.

“I try to make sure everything is ready, it doesn’t matter to me how long it takes,” she said.