Mom’s Weekend a success for University organizations and local businesses

By Alissa Groeninger

Biaggi’s Ristorante Italiano averages between 400 and 600 visitors every Saturday night, said Jordan Gillins, manager at the restaurant. This Saturday about 900 guests dined at Biaggi’s for dinner and another 430 ate lunch at the Champaign restaurant.

Biaggi’s Ristorante Italiano averages between 400 and 600 visitors every Saturday night, said Jordan Gillins, manager at the restaurant. This Saturday about 900 guests dined at Biaggi’s for dinner and another 430 ate lunch at the Champaign restaurant.Gillins said reservations to eat at Biaggi’s on Mom’s Weekend are often made a year in advance and the restaurant has already received calls for next year’s event.

In addition to dining in Champaign and Urbana, guests participated in a number of activities planned by the Parent Programs Office and the Illini Union Board.

The Parent Programs Office hosted a new event called “Explore Illinois”. The event gave visitors the opportunity to interact with different members of the University community, including members of student organizations, cultural houses, and academic departments. Students, faculty and staff were all present to interact with visitors.

“We couldn’t have been happier with the turnout and the reception the event received,” said Becky Galardy, program manager for the Parent Programs Office.

Galardy said people seemed to be enjoying the weekend, in part because of the weather.

“Campus was pretty lively,” she said.

Despite the crowds no parking problems were reported in Champaign or Urbana.

“It went well,” said Shirl Johnson, parking operations supervisor for Champaign.

Johnson said Champaign always bring in additional funds from parking costs when more people are on campus for events.

Delora Siebrecht, parking administrator for Urbana, said the city did not issue more parking tickets than it does during an average weekend.