Environmental organizations unite for Earth Day

By Rosie Powers

University students gathered on the University’s quad in front of the Illini Union this afternoon to celebrate Earth Day, bringing awareness and activities for students.

“Today is all about getting a bunch of groups together to promote awareness of environmental issues,” said Dana Lange, freshman in LAS. “People tend to be attracted when there is just more that one group.”

Lange, Vice President of Volunteer Illini Projects, said that her group works with local park districts to clean up local areas. She also mentioned their upcoming project, in which the group will reach out to local schools and educate children on environmental issues.

Red Bison Habitat Restoration, another environmental group on campus, also set up a table to celebrate Earth Day, displaying a poster with pictures of the various projects their groups has done locally.

“We focus on invasive control and controlled burns in areas like Savoy and Vermillion County,” said Justin Meissien, junior in LAS.

In addition to tables with posters promoting environmental awareness and invasive habitat control, the day also featured sample cookies, painting, and music.

The October Lovers, a student-run group that celebrates different activities of the fall, also participated in today’s event.

“We decided to participate because as October Lovers, we obviously like the outdoors,” said Randall Batridge, freshman in Business. “We’ve been selling shirts and trying to spread awareness about our group.”

The variety of the groups, in the view of some of the Earth Day participants, gave students a more diverse outlet in which learn and experience the importance of the holiday.

“Having different types of groups present on the quad gives students a better outlet in which they can learn and get involved with the issues,” said Lange.