University police respond to armed robbery on campus

An armed robbery occurred on Saturday around midnight near the intersection of Pennsylvania Avenue and Dorner Drive, according to a massmail alert sent by University police.

The victim was walking down Pennsylvania Avenue when he was approached from behind by a white male subject. The subject appeared to have a gun in his hand and demanded cash from the victim. After complying, the victim fled the scene on foot. The victim was not injured, according to the e-mail.

The suspect was described in the e-mail as a young white male in his early 20’s, approximately six feet tall with an athletic build. He was clean shaven and wearing grey sweatsuit with the hood pulled over his head.

A similar incident occurred on the same day, around the same time. Additionally, the suspect description is very similar. The Urbana Police Department is still looking into the case.

In response to these crimes, the University Police will be increasing patrols around the area and working with the Urbana Police Department to gather more information about the suspect.

The University Police advises that people always lock their doors and windows, be aware of their surroudings and travel in well-lit populated areas. In addition, they advise that people learn the locations of emergency phones on campus, put an ICE (In Case of Emergency) card in their cell phone and be sure to register contact information with the Illini-Alert emergency text messaging system.