Illinois Briefs

University team takes 2nd in Solar Decathalon

The University of Illinois finished the Solar Decathlon in second place on Friday. Team Germany finished first, and Team California rounded out the top 3.

The Solar Decathlon is a program run by the U.S. Department of Energy which joins 20 college and university teams in a competition to design, build, and operate the most attractive and energy-efficient solar-powered house.

The competition also had the teams transport their solar homes to the National Mall in Washington D.C., where they were then able to be showcased to the public.

Lawmakers sought request then voted Blago out

CHICAGO — A published report says many lawmakers who voted former Gov. Rod Blagojevich out of office came to him earlier with recommendations for jobs or state board appointments.

A story published in Sunday’s Chicago Sun-Times cites hiring records kept by Blagojevich aides from 2003 to 2005. It says 28 of 59 state senators who voted to impeach Blagojevich in January had sought him out earlier.

In the Illinois House, 53 of the 114 state representatives sought personnel moves, including House Speaker Michael Madigan who got 33 of 98 recommendations.

Madigan spokesman Steve Brown confirms people sought Madigan’s help. But he questions the records’ accuracy because many listed names weren’t familiar.

Blagojevich faces federal corruption charges, including allegations he tried to profit from President Barack Obama’s former U.S. Senate seat.

No injuries reported in small plane crash near Peoria

PEORIA — Police say a pilot flying a small plane near Peoria walked away unharmed after a fiery crash.

Peoria Police Department spokesman Doug Burgess says there were no injuries in Saturday evening’s crash.

The pilot, 17-year-old Scott Hall, of suburban Chicago, says he’s fine but his Piper Cherokee is totaled.

The crash happened shortly after 7 p.m. in a four-lane road. Hall says he took off from Peoria’s airport and crashed about 10 miles northeast of there.

Witness Matt Dalpiaz of Peoria says the plane appeared to clip a light pole and skidded across the road. Authorities closed the road for about two hours while firefighters doused the blaze

Compiled by Marty Malone and Associated Press reports