University students trick-or-treat to help Habitat for Humanity

On Halloween, University students will be going trick-or treating. But they won’t be asking for candy; instead they will be asking for change.

Members of the University of Illinois chapter of Habitat for Humanity will be going to Savoy and Urbana neighborhoods on Oct. 30 and Oct. 31 to raise money for the organization, which helps to improve housing across the country.

Alternative Spring Break and other organizations on campus will also join the effort to raise money.

This is the second year for the event, said the University’s Habitat chapter’s co-publicity chair Lauren Onderisin, a sophomore in LAS.

The group hopes to get more participation this year than they did last year. Volunteers will dress up in costume and compete to get the most donations.

“It had a small start last year so we put in a challenge to get more people involved,” Onderisin said.

Freshmen Megan Johnson in LAS and Kevin Lill in DGS said that they thought going door to door was a good idea, as long as people did not ask for larger donations.

Fundraising on Halloween is a good idea because people are more likely to open their doors than on other days, said Aurora Cruz.

“It’s healthier to give money to charity than to give out candy,” Cruz added.