Ameren Illinois reaches out to customers in need

According to a press release from Ameren Illinois, the company is reaching out to residential customers with past due account balances to help them take advantage of payment plans and Illinois utility rate relief programs.

“The economic downturn has placed an additional burden on our customers, causing some to fall behind on their bills,” said Stan Ogden, vice president for customer service and public relations for the Ameren Illinois Utilities. “We are reaching out to our customers with past due balances by making it as easy as possible to establish a payment plan.”

He said now through March 31, a customer may establish a payment play by paying 10 percent of the past due balance and the remaining will be paid in monthly installments. Beginning April 1, customers will be required to pay 25 percent of the past due balance before establishing a payment plan.

In addition, the Bill Payment Assistance Program provides energy assistance grants of up to $300 to low-income electric customers with household incomes of 150 percent to 200 percent of the energy assistance federal poverty level. The Hardship Assistance for Residential Customers provides grants of up to $600 based on the hardship experienced by customers with household incomes of up to 400 percent of the federal poverty level. Eligible Ameren Illinois customers may benefit from these rate relief programs.