Khan Annex to be dedicated Thursday

The University of Illinois Board of Trustees, President Michael Hogan, Interim Vice President and Chancellor Robert Easter and College of Applied Health Sciences Dean Tanya M. Gallagher will meet today in dedication of the Khan Annex at Huff Hall, 1206 S. Fourth Street in Champaign.

The program will run from 3 to 4 p.m. followed by a reception from 4 to 5 p.m.

The event comes in light of local philanthropists Shahid and Ann Carlson Khan’s recent gift to the University’s College of Applied Health Sciences in support of the newly constructed north end of Huff Hall.

The annex houses the Center on Health, Aging and Disability, the Master of Public Health program, classrooms, research labs and conference and office facilities. The Khan Annex provides over 24,000 square feet of laboratory, instructional and professional collaboration facilities. The new addition completes the architectural design envisioned nearly 90 years ago when Huff Hall was still on the drawing board. The original design called for two wings, connected by a central structure to form a Block I in the heart of campus. The Khan Annex completes the original vision.

The event will also feature University Board of Trustee Karen A. Hasara, University of Illinois Foundation President Dr. Sidney S. Micek and Shahid and Ann Carlson Khan themselves.