Apple announces release of iPhone 4S

Apple announced its new iPhone, the iPhone 4S, at a press conference Monday. The new iPhone feataures a new dual-core chip A5 chip, a new camera, a wireless storage feature called iCloud and an intelligent assistant that understands voices called Siri.

Apple also introduced its new mobile operating system, iOS5, which will allow for faster service and higher-resolution graphics.

“iPhone 4S plus iOS5 plus iCloud is a breakthrough combination that makes the iPhone 4S the best iPhone ever,” said Philip Schiller, Apple’s senior vice president of worldwide product marketing, in a press release.

The iCloud feature automatically and wirelessly transfers programs like iTunes to the Internet for storage.

Siri understands the context of when you speak and ask it questions, so, for example, it understands that you want a weather update when you ask it, “Will I need an umbrella this weekend?” Siri also lets you set reminders, make calls, send texts and emails, search the Internet and perform complex calculations by talking to it.

The new iPhones’s camera will use an 8 megapixel sensor and includes a new lens. The phone can also record video in 1080p HD resolution.

The iPhone 4S comes in black and white and pricing starts at $199 for the 16GB model. A 32GB model is available for $299 and a 64GB model for $399. All models will be shipping Oct. 14 with online pre-orders beginning Oct. 7.