Lincoln Hall receives nation’s highest ‘green building’ certification

By Daily Illini Staff Report

Gov. Pat Quinn announced last week that Lincoln Hall has achieved the nation’s highest “green building” designation.

The renovated building achieved LEED Platinum status, making it the second historic building in the state to do so. A Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design certification can be silver, gold or platinum, depending on a number of factors, including how a building uses electricity.

The $60.4 million Lincoln Hall project, which upgraded the building’s climate control, electric, lighting and plumbing systems, was designed with LEED certification in mind. But the final certification was issued after the building was completed in 2012 and documentation was reviewed by the U.S. Green Building Council.

Campus spokeswoman Robin Kaler said with seven buildings already LEED certified, the mark is becoming a standard for new projects across the campus as officials are “trying to incorporate as many as possible.” Current certified buildings include Student Dining and Residential Programs building, Nugent and Bousfield residence halls.

According to the press release, features that helped the building reach platinum certification are:

— Recycled demolition materials and construction packaging were used

— Installation of outdoor air supply units with heat recovery for centralized air intake and exhaust

— Installation of displacement air diffusers in classrooms and the theater.

— Use of low water volume plumbing fixtures

— Installation of efficient lighting with daylight harvesting and occupancy sensor controls

The University is constructing two other buildings that it is seeking LEED certification for: the $80 million Electrical and Computer Engineering Building and the $23.2 million Integrated Biotechnology Research Laboratory.