Local leaders announce support for Rosenberg for state representative

By Eleanor Black

Rep. Naomi Jakobsson, D-103, and Urbana Mayor Laurel Prussing announced their endorsements for democratic candidate Sam Rosenberg for state representative of the 103rd district. They were joined by Champaign Mayor Don Gerard, who endorsed Rosenberg in January.

Rosenberg, a University alumnus and local trial lawyer, will face Urbana City Council member Carol Ammons in the March 18 Democratic primary.

“I believe Sam is the right person and the best choice to serve as our voice in the state capitol,” Jakobsson said. “Sam will put the needs of our community first, protect a woman’s right to make her own medical decisions, push for greater fairness in the workplace and fight for the resources that a world-class institution like the University of Illinois needs and deserves.”

Jakobsson said she thought Rosenberg was the most qualified candidate in terms of what he will do and how he will represent the district, not only in the community, but in Springfield as well.

“You have to have a strong character, you have to be honest, you have to be straightforward with people (and) be truthful. Your word is your word when you’re in Springfield,” she said. “I really believe that Sam has that firm, ethical quality.”

Ethics were also important to Prussing when making her decision, and she pointed out the importance of respect in the legislature.

“You’re dealing with people from around the state, and they have very different priorities, and your job is not to alienate them but to find common ground,” she said. “You have to respect other people who have very different views than you do. That’s how you’re ultimately going to be able to work and get things done.”

Because he wanted support from both communities, Rosenberg said the endorsement from the two mayors was important to him.

“I really believe that Champaign-Urbana has a tremendously bright future, but that future, if it is going to be successful, involves both towns.”

In terms of issues, Rosenberg said that his top two priorities are jobs and education.

“I am well aware of the difficulties that are coming up with regards to tuition costs (and) research grants. This is a very difficult time for higher education in the state of Illinois,” he said. “We need to be asking ourselves, “What kind of society are we where tuition rates continually are rising, and we are not supporting what should be a pride and joy of the entire state?”

Rosenberg and Ammons have a forum scheduled for Feb. 21 at the Champaign City Council Chambers, 102 N. Neil St.

Eleanor can be reached at [email protected].