Callis wins Democratic nomination for 13th Congressional District

Ann Callis speaks at a public forum held for candidates for Congressional representation of the 13th district of Illinois on Feb. 20 at Champaign City Council chambers. 

Callis won the race with 54 percent of votes, with 96 percent of precincts reporting at press time, according to the Chicago Tribune. However, Gollin, a physics professor at the University, won Champaign County with about 53 percent of the votes.

“I’m looking forward to continuing my conversation with voters about my record of working with Democrats and Republicans to bring people together to get results,” Callis said in a press release. 

Callis served as the chief judge of Madison County for 18 years, where she created the first Veterans’ Court in Illinois, as well as a foreclosure mediation program to help homeowners.

“Illinois voters will have a clear choice between my record of protecting middle class families and Congressman (Rodney) Davis, who voted during his first year in Congress to end the guarantee of Medicare and raise Medicare costs on Illinois families,” she said.

During her campaign, Callis said her top priorities included creating jobs, protecting seniors with Social Security and Medicare, and ending income inequality.

In terms of education, she supports increasing Pell Grants and Sen. Dick Durbin’s student “bill of rights,” which would protect student loan borrowers.

“The burgeoning student loan debt and predatory student loans are going to be the next huge financial crisis with our nation,” she said during a debate held in Champaign on Feb. 20.

Gollin had a viewing party Tuesday night at the Esquire Lounge, 106 N. Walnut St., in Champaign.

“No matter how hard our primary fight might have been, we must remember the differences between us Democrats are tiny compared to the difference between us and the Republican Agenda,” he said during his concession speech.

When asked what’s next for his political career, Gollin laughed and said he was going home, adding, “It’s too close to really think straight about this.”

Green, a policy analyst at the Institute of Government and Public Affairs at the University, released a concession statement.

“I appreciate the efforts and votes of those who were convinced by my philosophy and views, and I accept the blame for not being able to reach and convince more voters than I did,” he said.

Callis will compete against incumbent Davis for the 13th District seat in the Nov. 4 general election.

Eleanor and Josh can be reached at [email protected].