Illini Union adds charging stations for students on the go

Jon Buie, senior in engineering, uses one of the new charging stations set up in the Illini Union.

By Edward Gathercoal

The Illini Union recently installed five KwikBoost cell phone charging stations and one charging locker for students to use.  

“It is our goal at the Illini Union to listen to the students and respond accordingly to their feedback,” said Lowa Mwilambwe, Illini Union director, in a press release. “As the request for charging stations became more frequent, we took action in order to provide the necessary amenities in today’s rapidly evolving technological society.”

According to the KwikBoost website, its charging stations are compatible with nearly all mobile devices.

The KwikBoost M8 charging stations include four Apple USB, three micro USB and one mini USB cable for a total of eight chargers per station. These five pedestal-style stations are located in the Pine Lounge, Courtyard Café, Food Court, Student Organization Complex and North Lobby. 

The charging locker, located in the lower level of the Illini Union, consists of eight lockers with two charging cables per locker for a total of 16 chargers including eight Apple, six micro USB and two mini USB cables. Lewis said students can lock up their chargers with a lock code of their choice and leave for a while, knowing their devices are secure. 

Matt Hill, vice president-external of the Illinois Student Senate, met representatives from other universities at the Association for Big Ten Students conference, such as students from the University of Minnesota: Twin-Cities, who had implemented charging enhancements on their campuses. Hill and Ron Lewis, Illinois Student senator and sophomore in Business, teamed together to approach the Illini Union with the idea of adding stations to the building. 

At its Apr. 9 meeting, the student senate approved a resolution to spend $4,115 on the charging stations. It added that any extra upkeep prices would be transferred to the Illini Union.

Hill, who sponsored the student senate’s bill to implement the charging stations, discussed the importance of having them at the Illini Union.

“We’re all living these really crazy and hectic lives and the one place that brings students from all colleges together, whether it is to get something to eat or to study, is the Union,” he said “We just thought it would be a courtesy to help people out if they don’t have their charger on them.”

Megan Laz, communication specialist at the Illini Union, is eager to work on the project with ISS.

“We were more than excited to work with them. It was a combined effort and everything ran pretty smoothly,” she said.

Both Hill and Lewis said they would like to see charging stations at other campus locations depending on the students’ reaction; however, no formal plans have been made.

Edward can be reached at [email protected]