Jesse White launches fake ID awareness campaign

By The Daily Illini Staff

Secretary of State Jesse White launched a public awareness campaign on the penalties associated with using a fake ID.

The office will be visiting college campuses around the state with outreach efforts and brochures, according to a press release from the Secretary of State’s office.

The office plans to visit the University, but has not scheduled a specific date, Deputy Press Secretary Beth Kaufman said. 

The penalties for possessing a fake ID include a year’s suspension of driving privileges. Additionally, there is a possibility of one to three years in prison and a mandatory fine ranging from a minimum $500 to $25,000 or 50 hours of community service, according to the release.    

Over the past two years, there have been more than 1,200 people caught with fake IDs. 

The office has also formed a Safe ID task force in an effort to combat the use of fake IDs and make IDs safer. 

The goal of the task force is to try to make state issued drivers licenses and identification cards as fraud-proof as possible, according to the release. 

The task force is made up of individuals from the Secretary of State Departments, including the Office of the Inspector General, Secretary of State Police, Drivers and Vehicles Services, General Counsel and Department of Information Technology.

In the past, the task force has worked with agencies including the police, U.S. Customs and Border Protection and the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.