Five attacked in four incidents Saturday

By Daily Illini Staff Report

Four incidents of mob action, battery and strong armed robbery that occurred in the early morning hours Saturday caused the University Police Department to issue a public safety advisory.

The four incidents occurred between 3:30 a.m. and 4:10 a.m. The five victims were walking in the campus area and were battered by a group of six to eight men for seemingly no reason, according to the advisory.

In one incident the offenders exited two vehicles, battered the victims and then left in the vehicles. In the other incidents, it appears that the offenders were walking in a group before the attack.

During some of the incidents the offenders would ask for an item or threaten them before the attack. One victim had his cell phone stolen, and there were no major injuries. Some victims did seek treatment for cuts and bruises.    

The incidents occurred in the 600 block of South 1st Street, the 200 and 100 block of East Chalmers Street, and the intersection of Locust and Chalmers streets.

The offenders were all described as a group of black males, which one victim described to be around 25 years old and dressed in t-shirts and jeans.

Information provided about the race of the offender only serve to supplement the other descriptions and are alone the not meaningful the the persons’ appearance, according to the email.  

The vehicles were described as a SUV and a passenger car.