Chairman Kennedy to leave Board of Trustees in January

By Faraz Mirza

Board of Trustees Chairman Christopher Kennedy announced at Thursday’s meeting that he will not seek reappointment after his term expires on Jan. 19.

The end of Kennedy’s six-year term will coincide with the departure of Gov. Pat Quinn in January, when Republican Governor-elect Bruce Rauner will take his place.

Quinn arrived for a special appearance Thursday morning as the board came out of its first executive session. This was the last regular board meeting before the end of Quinn’s term.

The governor recognized Kennedy for his contributions to the board and extended a personal thanks to the chairman. Quinn said the board owes Kennedy a “permanent debt of gratitude,” to which Kennedy replied, “It’s a great group, so thank you.”

University Spokesman Tom Hardy clarified that Kennedy’s departure is not a resignation.

“Given Governor Rauner will be making appointments from a different party, it’s likely he will want his own team, so Chairman Kennedy indicated the likelihood that when his term expires, he will be leaving the board,” Hardy said.

The next scheduled Board of Trustees meeting will take place on Jan. 15 and 16, several days before Kennedy’s term expires.

Faraz can be reached at [email protected].