Cravings restaurant closed after failed health inspection

By Daily Illini Staff Report

The Champaign Chinese restaurant Cravings, 603 S. Wright St., has been shut down after a failed health inspection on March 24.

The establishment was cited for 22 total violations, seven of them listed as “critical.”

The inspection was conducted by two Champaign-Urbana public health district inspectors who found the restaurant in violation of code regarding food storage temperatures and unlabeled toxic chemical spray bottles. The report also stated multiple containers of food were left uncovered, raw beef was being stored over raw fish in a cooler and the cook line’s equipment was “heavily soiled” among other minor and critical violations.

Jim Roberts, director of environmental health for the Champaign-Urbana public health district, said his department has worked with Cravings in the past, and it has not changed after previous citations for health violations. Roberts said he believes the violations could result in consumers becoming seriously ill if not controlled.

“Regarding these factors, we have asked them to make sure they have the knowledge of what they are,” Roberts said. “We have worked with them in the past, done some training and coaching. The problem is enacting. They are not acting to control those risk factors.”

Roberts said it is possible for the restaurant to reopen in the future if they make the necessary changes to meet health standards.