Barbara Wilson officially named Interim Chancellor

By Maggie Sullivan

Barbara Wilson, the dean of LAS who has been serving as the acting chancellor for the Urbana campus, was formally recommended to serve as the interim chancellor at the Governance, Personnel, and Ethics committee meeting Thursday.

“She is currently serving as acting chancellor of the Urbana campus, and, from personal experience I know she has been doing a wonderful job of that,” President Timothy Killeen said.

Killeen also said Wilson has done a great job leading the Urbana campus through what he called “the complication that occurred most recently,” referring to the announcement of Provost Ilesanmi Adesida’s resignation, which is effective Aug. 31.

“She has a wonderful record of scholarship, participation, and she is deeply rooted in the land grant mission of this University,” Killeen said.

Wilson, who joined the University faculty in 2000, was just appointed dean of LAS last year. She plans to appoint Brian Ross, professor in psychology, as her executive associate dean of the college to help with the day-to-day matters of running the college while she is in the chancellor’s office this year.

Committee Chair Patrick Fitzgerald said he and the rest of the board are familiar with Wilson and her work on campus.

“This is a formality- not new business,” Fitzgerald said. “I’m delighted to have this moved to the full board for approval.”