University reports record enrollment for fall 2015

By Abigale Svoboda

University enrollment of Latino students has increased 11.5 percent since fall 2014; total enrollment of African-American students increased 5.4 percent in the past year.

Overall, a total of 76,166 students are currently enrolled across the three University campuses, including a record-size freshmen class of 11,315 students, according to a University press release.

The enrollment numbers were recorded after Friday, the tenth day of classes for University students. According to the release, “10-day figures are the traditional benchmark for enrollment data among U.S. colleges and universities.”

The reported numbers only include students enrolled in classes on the Urbana, Springfield or Chicago campuses. University officials expect total enrollment to reach 79,000 students — a record high for the University — once all online, graduate and professional students are accounted for.

According to the release, the University has increased need-based institutional financial aid to $84 million annually.

In January the Board of Trustees voted to freeze tuition for instate members of the current freshmen class. The base tuition rate for Illinois residents expected to graduate in 2019 is $12,036 per year. The freeze was the first in 20 years; previously tuition was increased by 1.7 percent for each incoming class. However, base tuition does not change once students are enrolled at the University.

In the release President Killeen noted the University’s efforts toward “continued excellence” despite financial difficulties, while trying to promote access and affordability.

“We are committed to holding down student costs, while maintaining an uncompromising commitment to academic excellence that continues to attract the best and brightest students from across our state and around the world,” Killeen said.