UIPD issues Campus Safety Notice about sexual assault

A sexual assault occurred Wednesday around 2:30 a.m. in a University private certified housing building according to a Campus Safety Notice.

The notice was issued Thursday by University of Illinois Police Chief Jeffrey Christensen around 5 p.m.

According to the notice, the Champaign Police Department informed UIPD about the incidence; the victim was a student assaulted by a person known to them.

Pat Wade, UIPD spokesperson, said safety notices are issued when an incident meets certain criteria that concerns the campus community. He said there are several events serious enough to be sent out as campus safety notices.

“Federal law outlines exactly what we need to notify campus of,” Wade said. He listed murder, sexual assault, robbery, aggravated assault, arson and motor vehicle theft as examples that would call for the notices to be sent out.

The notice included links to websites that provide more information on sexual assault, such as the Women’s Resources Center and the McKinley Health Center. 

In July, the University launched a web site called We Care to provide sexual assault and domestic violence survivors with information and resources for support.