Student senate Vice President named to national It’s On Us advisory committee

By Daily Illini Staff Report

The It’s On Us national campaign named Illinois Student Senate Vice President-external Matt Hill to a 17-member student-run advisory committee in a press release Tuesday afternoon.

It’s On Us places an emphasis on community responsibility for sexual assault. Hill was involved in organizing several public service announcements involving University faculty and athletes as well as various events throughout 2014-2015, including a “Twitter town hall” where students could submit questions or comments and have them addressed by FYCARE representatives.

Hill served as a part of the It’s On Us task force chaired by himself and Vice President-internal Sarah Hochman. The task force’s efforts with the campaign attracted national attention and landed a visit from Vice President Joe Biden this past April.

Hill said he was notified last week about being named to the national committee. He hopes to collaborate with his new committee members and provide feedback to further the campaign on a national level.

“I know that all of us (on the committee) come from very different universities,” said Hill. “Whether it be a large public institution or a small private institution, campus sexual assault is an issue that faces students everywhere.”

Layla Zaidane is the communications director for Generation Progress, which partnered with the White House to form the It’s On Us national campaign. Zaidane said the application process to be on the student-run advisory committee was “rigorous” and included multiple writing samples and interviews from many applicants nationwide.

“We had over 100 applicants and multiple rounds of written and phone interviews to select the ultimate 17.”

Zaidane said the goal is for the students to collaborate to find new ideas to “reach students on other campuses across the country through local strategies as well as national outreach strategies.”