Zeta Beta Tau fraternity to hold vigil for UI student

Brett Lerner in the WPGU studio during an edition of The Daily Illini’s “Illini Drive.” Photo courtesy of Urbana Public Television.

By Daily Illini Staff Report

Members of the Zeta Beta Tau fraternity will host a candle light vigil in honor of Brett Lerner on the Main Quad on Thursday.

The vigil will begin at 6:30 p.m. and will recognize Lerner’s involvement across campus; those in attendance will be invited to light candles in memory of Lerner. Additionally, members of ZBT and others in the Greek-letter community, President Timothy Killeen, Rabbi Dovid Tiechtel, John Paul, lecturer in journalism and Peter Bailey-Wells, The Daily Illini sports editor, will speak about Lerner.

Following the vigil, ZBT has invited attendees to a reception at its fraternity house, 907 S. Fourth St.

Lerner, 20, of Buffalo Grove, died in a car crash on Friday while traveling on Route 47 to an assignment for WCIA, where he was a sports intern. The crash is currently being investigated by Champaign County Coroner’s Office and the Illinois State Police. JT