University administrators remind campus of student code, state law prior to Unofficial St. Patrick's Day

By Daily Illini Staff Report

Renée Romano, associate chancellor for student affairs, and Kenneth BallomCH, dean of students, sent a University Massmail regarding Unofficial St. Patrick’s Day Tuesday.

In the massmail, Romano and Ballom encourage students to be safe, responsible and respectful. The letter states that they are writing to address student requests to be informed about the consequences of inappropriate or illegal behavior.

“At Illinois, we expect our students to take responsibility for their behavior and its impact on others. Unfortunately, in past years, (Unofficial St. Patrick’s Day) has led to serious injuries and at least two deaths,” the massmail states.

The University does not sponsor or sanction the event or any related merchandise, according to the massmail. Still, the University will respond to all violations of the Student Code no matter where they occur. Violations include: the underage consumption of alcohol, providing alcohol to minors, damage and destruction of property, acts of physical violence and acts of sexual aggression.

According to the massmail, consequences are determined based on the seriousness of individual behaviors but may include dismissal from the University. Students’ disciplinary records may be subject to review in background checks, the massmail warns.

Additionally, the state of Illinois has recently enacted a law which holds individuals criminally responsible for knowingly permitting the underage consumption or possession of alcohol in their residence. The massmail states violating the law can result in being charged with a Class A misdemeanor — 364 days in jail and a $2,500 fine — or a Class 4 Felony — 3 years in jail and a $25,000 fine.

Hosts found in violation of the law will be arrested on state charges and transported to the Champaign County Jail, the massmail states.

Students are responsible for the actions of their guests as well. The University will also forward information of guests’ citations or arrests to the college or university they are enrolled in, if applicable.

“Please remember that your behavior during this event will reflect on you and on your university for years to come,” Romano and Ballom state. “For example, is a social media posting of you wearing an offensive shirt drinking alcohol the image you want to project to future employers, to your family or to the world?”CH

In urging students to make responsible choices, the massmail reminds the campus community of the University’s medical amnesty policy; intoxicated minors will not be in trouble for calling 911 on behalf of someone else.