Student senate, community leaders promote same day voting

By Samantha Jones Toal

“I almost didn’t vote,” she said. “You have to go out of your way to vote, but these are decisions that will directly affect us and it’s important our voices are heard.”

Wilson ended up voting early on Friday because she was able to register at the voting site.

“I think it’s important to vote because the younger population makes up so much of America and politics will be directly affecting us for the next four to eight years,” Wilson said.

Even for students that didn’t vote early, voting on Tuesday is an option for individuals not currently registered.

The Illinois Student Senate will host a same-day registration event to inform students about same-day registration Monday at 8 p.m. in room 104 of the Illini Union.JT

Laura Saldivar, student senate vice president,JT said the event is also meant to inform students about the roles of local and state officials in Champaign-Urbana.

Guest speakers will talk about the importance of voting including State Senator Scott Bennett, State Representative Carol Ammons, Will Kyles from the Champaign City Council and Josh Hartke from the Champaign County Board.JT

“I thought it would be really great to combine informing students about local government and also giving them information on how they can vote,” said student senate Community and Governmental Affairs Chairwoman Trisha Rodriquez.JT

Rodriquez said they will provide students with information about where to register and vote on campus for the Tuesday election.

“Young people are an underrepresented group in government and sometimes government doesn’t really take us seriously,” she said. “With issues such as the budget impasse, I think it’s really helpful for students to be able to have that background and say, ‘Hey, I vote, I’m your constituent, you have to listen to me.’”

Sara Folliard, freshman in education,JT said she plans on voting Tuesday.

“I think a lot of us are disconnected from politics, I have to make an effort to find out about candidates and then go out to vote,” she said. “It’s not the most convenient thing, but it’s not a hassle. I think it’s worth it to take the time out of your day to vote.”