Campus development to be discussed at upcoming Master Plan forums

By Vivienne Henning

The ongoing 18-month process of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Campus Master Plan will be outlined and discussed at two separate public forums on April 12 and 14mk.

Robin Kaler, campus spokesperson, said the April 12 public forum is aimed at faculty, staff and students of University of Illinois, and will be held at the Campus Activities and Recreation Center, Room MP-6 at 3 p.mmk. The April 14 forum is for members of the Champaign-Urbana community, and will be held at the I Hotel Ballroom at 6:30 p.mmk.

“Anyone who wants to offer thoughts about future use of facilities and spaces on campus (can come to the forums),” Kaler said.

According to the Campus Master Plan website, the plan is a guide for development, renovation and re-purposing of facilities and spaces on campusmk.

“The planning process will involve leadership and input from across the campus to help align the ongoing development of physical campus spaces with academic plans and programs,” the website saysmk.

The plan’s goal is to produce an environment that supports the school’s learning, discovery and outreach missions, while also being sustainable and enriching to the community.

The Campus Master Plan is organized around four primary phases.

The “Discovery” phase aims to understand the current challenges, goals and aspirations of the Urbana campusmk

The “Analysis” phase will evaluate the information collected during the previous phase to determine challenges and opportunities for the Urbana campusmk.

The “Master Planning” phase will utilize the findings to create a vision for the future of the Urbana campusmk.

The “Documentation” phase concludes the master planning process with a collection of the ideas summarized in a master plan reportmk.

“The master planning process is intended to be strategic, data-informed, iterative, and inclusive. It will utilize input from University leadership, campus constituents, and community members throughout the process to shape the master plan,” the website saysmk

Consultants from SmithGroupJJR, a national design firm, and affiliates of the Core Planning Team from campus and the UI system will be helping with the efforts of the planning and implementation of the Campus Master Planmk.

“(The purpose of the forums are) to provide an overview of the master planning process and ask for people’s ideas on the future of the Urbana campus,” Kaler said.