University professors named Guggenheim Fellows

By Daily Illini Staff Report

Six University professors were named to the 2016 Guggenheim Fellows list. Over the past three years, 13 University faculty members have been given this distinction. MS https://news.illinois.edu/blog/view/6367/349472

According to an April 6 press release, the 178 successful candidates were chosen from a group of nearly 3,000 applicants in the foundation’s 92nd competition. Recipients were selected on the basis of “prior achievement and exceptional promiseRB.” MS

Dennis Baron, professor of English; Karin A. Dahmen, professor of physics; Craig Koslofsky, professor of history, Germanic languages and literatures, and medieval studies; Mei-Po Kwan, professor of geography and geographic information; Ralph Mathisen, professor of history, classics and medieval studies and Rebecca Stumpf, professor of anthropology, were among those honored by the John Simon Guggenheim Memorial FoundationRBMS

This year’s fellows represent 71 different academic institutions, 27 states, the District of Columbia and two Canadian provincesRBMS

“It’s exciting to name 178 new Guggenheim Fellows. These artists and writers, scholars and scientists, represent the best of the best,” said Edward Hirsch, president of the foundation, in the release.

Since its establishment in 1925, the foundation has granted more than $334 million in fellowships to over 18,000 individuals, according to the release. MS

Among the individuals are Nobel laureates, Fields medalists, Turing Award winners, poets laureate, members of the various national academies, winners of the Pulitzer Prize and other recognized honorees. MS

“Each year since 1925, the Guggenheim Foundation has bet everything on the individual, and we’re thrilled to continue to do so with this wonderfully talented and diverse group. It’s an honor to be able to support these individuals to do the work they were meant to do,” Hirsch said. MS