First medical cannabis dispensary in Champaign ready for business

By Joseph Longo, Assistant News Editor

Phoenix botanical located at  1704 S. Neil Street Linn St. it is now open for business.
Phoenix botanical located at 1704 S. Neil Street Linn St. it is now open for business.

The first medical cannabis dispensary in Champaign, Phoenix Botanical, officially opened Monday, May 2. 

The dispensary located at 1704 S. Neil St. previously hosted a soft opening Friday, April 29 by appointment only.

For Dan Linn, manager of Phoenix Botanical, the soft opening allowed his dispensary a chance to familiarize with the appointment-making software. Linn set up appointments with those who had previously contacted the dispensary about its opening in an attempt to “not hold up patients all at once.”

“We set up appointments with these patients who had been calling us asking when we were going to be open with the understanding that it could take us a little bit longer to fulfill orders than on our opening day,” Linn said.

Phoenix Botanical previously delayed the opening for many reasons, including the Champaign requirement that the dispensary install an automatic door, which was put in last week.

After installing the door, Phoenix Botanical awaited its medical cannabis dispensary state license.

The dispensary finally received its license Tuesday, April 26. After the long licensing process, Linn is glad to be open.

“We’re happy to be able to provide this medicine safely and legally,” Linn said.