Urbana Police Department investigate deadly hit and run on University Avenue

By Vivienne Henning, Assistant Daytime News Editor

A hit and run occurred in the 100 block of East University Avenue around 12:30 a.m. on Saturday.

Urbana police officers arrived in response to a report of a subject lying down in the street near the intersection of Broadway Avenue and University Avenue.

The officers found the victim, a 54-year-old male, lying partly in the roadway, with evident and serious injuries. The victim, Jeffery Stacey, was pronounced dead at Carle Foundation Hospital around 7 a.m. Thursday morning, according to Champaign County Coroner Duane Northrup.

As the investigation has progressed, it has been concluded that the victim was struck by a vehicle that subsequently fled the scene after the accident occurred.

The Urbana Police Department determined that the victim had been walking northbound on Broadway Avenue and was in the midst of crossing University Avenue when they were struck by the vehicle. The vehicle was likely traveling westbound on University Avenue. There is likely damage on the front of the vehicle from the accident.

The investigation is still ongoing, and the Urbana Police Department is asking the public to call them with any information at (217)-384-2320. All caller information will remain anonymous.

Megan Jones contributed to this report.