Police Blotter for September 13, 2016

By Aaron Navarro, Assistant Daytime News Editor

• Multiple “Minors in Possession of Alcohol,” or MIP, tickets were issued from 11 p.m. to 1 a.m. on Friday and Saturday.

According to the report, Champaign police issued five MIP tickets at Murphy’s Bar on the 600 block of E. Green St. Two were issued at Legends Bar on the 500 block of E. Green St. Three MIP citations were issued and one citation for announcement by licensee to an employee were issued at the Red Lion Bar on the 200 block of E. Green St.

• An 18-year-old male was arrested on charges of delivering a controlled substance near Green and Locust streets around 1:30 a.m. Sunday.

According to the report, the male was a passenger in a vehicle that was initially stopped due to the driver failing to signal a turn. After smelling cannabis from the vehicle, officers found wrapped bundles of cocaine in the offender’s wallet. Another 18-year-old passenger was arrested for lying to police about his name.

• An incident of a phone-based scam was reported around 7:30 p.m. Friday.

According to the report, a University student reported she was called by someone claiming to be an IRS official, who told the student she owed tax money. The student then listened to directions to purchase $2,350 in digital entertainment gift cards and read the card numbers to the scammer.

• An incident of vandalism was committed in 800 block of S. Wright Street.

According to the report, a University employee reported a broken window in Coble Hall. It was unknown when the damage occurred, and the estimated cost to replace the window is $300.

• A hit and run was reported on University Avenue around 11 a.m. Monday.

According to the report, the offender struck the victim’s vehicle and left the scene prior to police arrival. The offender was knowingly driving their car under old license plates.

• A 46-year-old male was arrested for retail theft in the 100 block of High Cross Road around 4 p.m. Monday.

According to the report, the offender stole eight items from the Wal-Mart, passing all points of sale without paying.

• A theft was reported in the 300 block of Busey Avenue around 5 a.m. Monday.

According to the report, an unknown offender took apart the victim’s bike in order to steal it. The bike was estimated to be worth $500 or less.

Compiled by Aaron Navarro