Jason Derulo will perform at State Farm Center

By Karen Liu, Staff Reporter

The State Farm Center announced today that singer Jason Derulo will be performing with special guest Kiiara on Dec. 3 at 7:30 p.m. Students are being offered $15 off on ticket prices, which are now available. 

The show is part of the “Grand Re-Opening” lineup once the $170 million renovation of the State Farm Center is complete. Other performances include Green Day, Dierks Bentley, Pentatonix, The 1975 and the WCIA 3 Broadway series. 

“We’re really excited to have [Derulo] and Kiiara,” said Brad Swanson, the assistant director of marketing and sales for the University of Illinois Athletics.

Swanson said that the diversity in the line-up represents the school’s commitment to programs that appeal to students on campus with diverse taste in music by “checking off different boxes of various interests.”

As a singer, songwriter and dancer, Derulo is a sought-after artist. In the six years of his career, Derulo has sold over 50 million singles worldwide, all of which have been co-written by the artist himself.

His career started with him writing hits for other a-list artists. Soon after, his own work started to gain popularity, collecting two billion views on YouTube, six billion streams on Spotify and an audience of 17 billion on the radio since his debut single “Whatcha Say”.

Out of his four acclaimed studio albums, Derulo accumulated 11 Top 10 hits, including four #1 singles. His singles are equally influential overseas, with four #1 singles in the UK and “Want To Want Me” staying at the top for four weeks in 2015.

Accompanying Derulo with his performance is the pop artist Kiiara, who released her breakout single “Gold” in March 2016.

Kiara Saulters started recording as an independent artist and released the “homey acoustic” pop song “Bring Me Back” in 2013. She eventually signed with the label Atlantic.