Illinois Student Senate to complete diversity, inclusion training

Brian Bauer

Student Body President Ron Lewis holds a public forum during the Illinois Student Senate’s first meeting at the Illini Union Pine Lounge on Aug. 24.

By Gillian Dunlop, Staff Writer

The Illinois Student Senate meeting on Nov. 2 commenced with the discussion of the Student Advocacy Coalition which is having a meeting at 6:30 on Nov. 3 about lobbying efforts. President Ronald Lewis said this is a great opportunity for the students to “network with a lot of students on campus.”

The meeting continued with a proposal and discussion about Diversity and Inclusion Training. According to the proposal, ISS will complete diversity training “as a part of its internal plan.” This passed with 90 percent in favor.

It was also agreed that ISS will work with the CUMTD board to inform students about CUMTD services, but it will not be promoting them. The content they provide will be explicitly informational and must be developed with ISS input and approved by the executive board.

The meeting ended within 40 minutes, with some senators rushing off to watch the C ubs.