Campus Safety Notice warns students of robberies

The+University+of+Illinois+police+on+campus.+

The University of Illinois police on campus.

By Vivienne Henning, Assistant Daytime Editor

In response to two robberies which involved University students, the UIPD sent out a community safety notice.  The Urbana Police Department informed the UIPD of two robberies that had recently occurred off campus which involved University students.

On Friday, Nov. 11, a University student was approached from behind by three men near High Street and Coler Avenue around 2:00 a.m. One of the offenders struck the student and demanded they hand over their wallet and cell phone. The student complied, then ran away.

On Sunday, Nov. 13, a University student was approached from behind by three men near Illinois Street and Busey Avenue around 8:00 p.m. Several items were stolen, and the student reported that they never turned around to look at the offenders.

Both victims of the robberies were not seriously injured.

In the safety notice, the UIPD said it has a full complement of officers patrolling the campus area, and that they were thankful and fortunate for the assistance from the Urbana and Champaign police departments. They cited that about 1,500 security cameras are posted around campus to deter crime and identify offenders.

The UIPD encourages that anyone with information regarding these crimes is encouraged to contact the Urbana Police Department (217-384-232) or call anonymously to the Champaign County Crime Stoppers (217-373-8477) or visit their website at www.373tips.com.