Eight University researchers rank amid World’s Most Influential

Five University researchers were acknowledged as World’s Most Influential for 2017.

By Jessica Berbey, Staff Reporter

Eight University researchers have been recognized by the Thomson Reuters/ Clarivate Analytics Highly Cited Researchers list for 2016. The list identifies scientists in the science and social science fields whose “research has had a significant global impact within their fields of study.”

More than 3000 researchers in 21 fields were selected based on the number of highly cited papers they produced from January 2004 to December 2014.

Crop sciences and plant biology professors, Lisa Ainsworth and Stephen P. Long; civil and environmental engineering professor, Tami Bond; chemistry professors, Catherine Murphy and Yi Lu; plant biology professor, Donald Ort; psychology professor, Brent Roberts; and former University materials science and engineering professor, John Rogers are amongst those listed.

Aside from being  a professor at the University, Ainsworth is also employed by the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Research Service Global Change and Photosynthesis Research Unit.

Bond is the Nathan M. Newmark Distinguished Professor in Civil and Environmental Engineering with a focus on studying particle emissions.

Long is the Gutgsell Endowed Professor in crop sciences and plant biology, working on the effects of climate change on crop yield. He has been recognized as a highly cited researcher in his field every year since 2005.

Lu is the the Jay and Ann Shenk Professor of chemistry, as well as a Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, a Fellow of the Royal Society of Chemistry, and the recipient of a Howard Hughes Medical Institute Professors Award.

Murphy is the Peter C. and Gretchen Miller Markunas Professor of Chemistry. She was recognized as a highly cited researcher in chemistry in 2014 and 2015 as well.  She was elected to the National Academy of Science in 2015 and is the associate director of the Frederick Seitz Materials Research Laboratory.

Roberts is a psychology professor in the field of personality psychology. He was named a Fellow of the American Psychological Association in 2009 and a Fellow of the Association of Psychological Science in 2013.

Rogers has published over 350 papers and has invented more than 80 patents and patent applications. He was awarded a MacArthur Fellowship in 2009 and is also a member of the National Academy of Sciences. He has been recognized as a highly cited researcher in material sciences since 2014.

Ort is the Robert Emerson Professor of Plant Biology and Crop Sciences. He also works with the U.S. Department of Agricultural Research Service and the Carl R. Woese Institute for Genomic Biology. He was inducted into the USDA’s Agricultural Research Service Science Hall of Fame in 2015.

“(Having) our work highly cited in other published work is humbling,” Ort said. “It is also a tribute to the importance and impact of the research enterprise at Illinois.”